Most of us have a standard list of tasks that we tackle every Spring. This year, enhance your list by cleaning these hardworking items in your home that are often overlooked. Spend a few hours, then revel in the joy and satisfaction that a clean home and sunny, warm Spring day bring.
✓ Floor Mats
Outdoor: Hose off & Air-Dry
Indoor: Vacuum both sides. Dirt trapped in the back will be pushed out and easier to clean.
✓ Reusable Shopping Bags
Wash inside out. Air dry.
✓ Washing Machines
- Clean gasket by spraying it with white vinegar and wiping with a damp microfiber cloth.
- Add 2 cups white vinegar to detergent dispenser.
- Run a complete cycle at the highest level & hottest water temperature.
- Run a 2nd cycle on the highest level & hottest water temperature, adding 1/2 cup of baking soda to the drum.
- Wipe inside drum of washer with a damp microfiber cloth when complete.
- Add 4 cups of white vinegar to the wash cycle and set to highest level & hottest setting.
- After the cycle starts, pause machine and allow it to sit for 1 hour. During this time, wipe down the top of the washer.
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub fabric softener and bleach dispensers.
- Continue the wash cycle.
- Run a 2nd wash cycle using 1 cup baking soda.
- Wipe the top inside of the washer tub with a microfiber cloth to remove scum.
✓ Dryer Lint Trap Screen
Twice a year you should give the lint trap screen in your dryer a good cleaning to ensure maximum effectiveness. Remove the screen from the dryer and take it to a sink. Gently scrub with dish soap and a bottle brush. Rinse and air dry. This would also be a good time to clean the dryer vent!
Launder 2-3 times per year unless the care label says, “dry clean only”. Wash down, feather, and polyester pillows on a gentle or delicate cycle with a small amount of mild detergent. Memory foam or latex pillows cannot be washed.
Drying pillows thoroughly is critical to avoid mildew. Hanging pillows or placing them on a drying rack outdoors in the sun is best. If using a dryer, choose the no-heat air dry setting and add several clean tennis balls to break up down or feather clumps. Be aware that it will take time to dry pillows this way.